Wednesday 17 April 2013

Sneaky Pumpkin Muffins

One of my biggest parenting challenges has been getting my eldest to eat his vegetables.  In fact healthy snacks in general hasn't been all that easy. 

I admit to being fairly naive when he was first beginning solids and snacks and relied far too heavily on the "babies and toddlers" isle in the supermarket. 

And with my own penchant for packaged goods, I considered the little fruit bars and rice cakes to be healthy snack options for him. 

Fast forward a couple of years and while he loves his fruit, he's also developed his own little taste for packaged fruit bars and other not-so-healthy snacks. 

I took a different approach the second time around and my youngest has much healthier taste buds. 

But with my recent decision to reduce packaged foods and increase my fresh food intake (which I wrote about here), I've began thinking outside the square when it comes to cooking - both for myself and my children. 

So, for anyone else with fussy little eaters, I've decided to share my most successful recipes here. They'll have been tested on the toughest critic! 

This one has been a huge hit. It's a snack - or treat - and has the tick of approval from Beau's kindergarten, whose healthy eating policy is fairly strict. 

Let me know what you think and please do share your own healthy recipes - I need all the help I can get!

Choc-chip Pumpkin Muffins

Ingredients:
2 cups wholemeal (or regular) flour 
1/4 cup raw sugar
1/2 cup milk
1/4 cup dark chocolate chips
1/2 pumpkin
1 egg (beaten)
1/4 cup olive (grape seed, canola) oil




Method:
Chop up pumpkin and steam until soft. Mash in a bowl and put aside to cool. 
Combine flour and sugar;
Add milk, egg and oil and stir until combined;
Fold in mashed pumpkin;
Add chocolate chips;
Grease or spray small muffin tin or line with cupcake papers and spoon in mixture;
Bake for 15 to 20 minutes (depending on your oven!)



No comments:

Post a Comment